Thursday, July 30, 2009

Baby Nathan

Sorry its been so long since I posted anything. Most everyone knows the gist of what happened with us, but I will give the details anyway. I went to the doctor July 20th because I had been having contractions the Friday before and they put me on the meds to stop them over the weekend. Once I stopped the medicine on Sunday I started to feel the contractions again. The doctor said since I was 37 weeks he wouldn't keep me on anything to stop the baby from coming and that if he sent me home then I would just end up back at the office in a few days. So, he said, lets do the csection today. We were so happy, we had everything ready to have the baby that day. So, the process began. Nathan Robert was born at 12:20pm weighing 6 lbs 8 oz. and 20.8 inches long. He had a lot of fluid in him, but I heard him sputter and cry some. The NICU doctor came over to me and said, he's okay but I had to help him get started so we are going to take him to the NICU for a little while, hopefully he won't be there very long. So, it starts, here we go with the NICU again. We never thought we would have to deal with that this time, but unfortunatly we did. I was so sad. He looked so pitiful all swollen up and with that cpap attached to his face. And, I just wanted a normal experience having a baby. I wanted him in my hospital room, I wanted to leave the hospital with him in my arms. None of that happened. We went home without him. We journeyed to the hospital each day for a little while, at least so I could take the breastmilk that I pumped for him. by the way- he did come off the cpap on day 3 in the NICU and he looked like a different baby! He was breathing on his own and doing well, but he had to start eating from a bottle, since they had been giving him his milk through a feeding tube. The Saturday after he was born we had hopes that he would be coming home. they started all the going home procedures, they did a car seat test and had him circumcised. We stayed at the hospital all day waiting around and at 5:30 or so they said that he hadn't eaten well enough to be able to go home yet. I was so upset, I cried and cried(hormones Im sure:)) The next day his bilirubin levels had gone up and that kept him there. On Monday, his bilirubin had gone down a bit so they said, come feed him at 3pm and see how he does and maybe you can take him home. So, we did, and even though he still wasn't eating the way they would have liked, the doctor said the only thing they were doing was feeding him and we could do that at home. SO, we ventured home with baby Nathan on Monday, when he was 1 week old. He hasn't had any breathing problems and I took him to the doctor yesterday to check his bilirubin and it is down. So, everything is good. Aside from adjusting to having 2 babies in the house:) It is hard, but I have had help round the clock which has been very nice. I am trying to keep pumping my milk for him, but am also supplementing formula. I don't know how well pumping will go once I don't have help. Aaron is adjusting very well to having a new baby in the house and Landon just could care less since he has no clue what is really going on. He just stares at Nathan. Michael is back at work(probably happy to be there) and doing well, we still don't know anything about Florida, it will be a little while before we do. I will keep everyone posted:) Love ya!!!

No comments: