Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Baby Nathan update

I had an OB appointment today and this is the first one that I got disheartening news at. The baby looks beautiful, can't wait to post a pic, he looks just like Landon(they did a 3d). But, the whole reason for this appt was to check my cervix by ultrasound and it is shortening. A normal cervix length is 2.5cm or longer and mine is at 1.9. That's not so good considering mine is stitched closed. Without the stitch, who knows what could've been. So, because of this shortening, the doctor is convinced that I have an Incompetent Cervix and he has ordered me on modified bedrest. He stressed that I take it easy and hang out on the couch a lot. He pulled me out of work, which totally sucks, because I loved going on Mondays and Tuesdays even though it was hard to get going in the mornings, once I was there, I was happy. I go back for another ultrasound in 2 weeks to check the length of my cervix again. If it is shorter, he will give me the steroids to mature the baby's lungs. He said not to freak out about anything, but of course, I am a tad worried. Who wouldn't be? I want Nathan to stay in there for a long time:) He needs more baking time!! The doctor didn't say it, but I have a feeling if my cervix is any shorter in 2 weeks and he gives me those steroids, I will either be on strict bedrest at home or in the hospital again. At that appointment I will be 27 weeks and 2 days, which with Landon, my water broke at 26 weeks. So, I just pray we make it as far as possible and that my water doesn't break again. I'm not sure which issue is worse, premature water breaking or a shortening/opening cervix too early. Both run risk of having a premie and I don't want another one of my babies to experience that. I don't care if he remembers that time in his life or not, it is traumatic and I don't want to see it happen again. But, the bottom line in all this is that God will take care of us, God will provide for us and God will yet again bring us through this storm. One of my friends said that God likes performing miracles for us, so get ready!! I don't know why he chooses us, but I certainly will never turn my back on Him. Please continue to keep us in your prayers. It will take a lot of work to care for my children and try to be on "bedrest". Michael will be picking up a lot of the slack and that sucks. Pray for his sanity. He is the Most Amazing husband in the entire world, but this will put a lot of strain on him. Just be thinking of him through all this too! Thanks to all of my lovely friends and wonderful family for being here for us through everything last year with Landon and now again this year with Baby Nathan. God has put you in our lives for a reason and we cherish you all. I will be on the couch a lot so I may be blogging a lot more now. I will keep you updated on everything. Oh yeah, let me clarify what "modified bedrest" means: I can't walk long distances, stand for more than 40 minutes at a time, lift (much), strain, go to the mall, grocery shop(unless its in and out for a few things). I am allowed to leave the bed, which is great, so I will be at church and I will leave this house to go to friends/family's houses, but I can't do a lot of activities. So, that is that!!!!! Thanks again!!! Love you all!!!!

2 comments:

April - Team Tottle said...

Leah, I'm so sorry your cervix is acting up. I'll be praying for Nathan to hang out in there til at least 37 weeks! I'll be checking on you often... ;)

Living the Long Life... said...

Leah, all of you guys are in my prayers as well as my thoughts. Take it easy lady! You tell Nathan to hang in there!